Candace's Favorite Things

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

TUESDAY'S TRAINING TIPS; "What Exactly is Functional Training and Should I Care"?

If you workout, are a member
of a health club, or do any reading on the subject, you’ve heard the term. It’s
one of the latest and greatest buzz words in the world of fitness training today.
It’s catchy and cool sounding don’t you think, and there’s no doubt that you’ve
definitely seen it on the cover of just about every Fitness Magazine out there.

In fact, since it’s so pervasive…how about a quick quiz to test your knowledge?
No worries, this test consists of a
single question.
Better yet, let’s make it
multiple choice. Why not, you’ve caught me in great mood, so I’ll be generous
and gentle here. After all, I’m still
basking in the after glow of my ‘manic – like’ revelation of the myriad of endless

possibilities left over from a ‘New Year’s’ celebratory, induced stupor. So your Functional Fitness Awareness Quiz.

1) Do you know what the term “Functional Fitness” means?

A) Yes B) Not a clue C) Was told once, but forgot D) I don’t know and more importantly, should I care?

Well, obviously there’s no right or wrong
answer here. Either you do or you don’t, but the one I’m going to address is D,
because whether you do or don’t know the meaning of the term, you should. More
importantly, you should care enough to understand its definition and its
purpose as well.

As it exists now, there are Five Components
of Physical Fitness. Did you know that? Oops, that’s two questions, please
forgive me….as I mentioned earlier, I’m still buzzing from all the New Year's possibilities.It's a problem. I'm kidding in case you were concerned. Moving on -

There are five areas we look at when determining one’s fitness level. However, I’m
proposing there should be six.
So far we consider:

1)Cardiovascular Fitness

2) Muscular strength

3) Muscular endurance

4) Flexibility

5) (last but never least)...

Body composition.
I propose that we add

"Functional Fitness/Strength" to the mix. Creating a 6th component overall. So, is it important? How do you think I feel about it?

So now the answer to the quiz:
The definition of ‘Functional
Fitness/Strength’ as defined by the world wide web –

The proficiency that one is able to perform normal daily activities, without undue
fatigue.
While I like it, I (of course),feel the need to tweek and expand that definition just a wee bit more….

My definition of Functional Fitness/Strength is this;
 Fitness/ strength, specifically relating to your ability to masterfully maneuver the tasks of daily life. The ability to perform such tasks powerfully and proficiently,
with proper posture, *proprioceptive abilities and balance, so that you may FUNCTION well enough to
perform daily tasks with ease. Ultimately, the purpose of Functional Fitness, is to improve your
overall quality of life, both now and as you age.
 (according to me  and my 21 years of experice anyway; but it is the truth at the very heart of the matter)

For example, in muscular
strength, one may be able to bench press 300 pounds. Truly, that’s GREAT! However, that person
should also include functional chest exercises as well. Push ups with feet
elevated on a body ball for example, creating the ability to be strong while
also balancing in a functional manner. There are thousands of examples, but I’m
sure you get the idea.

We need to do the
one without neglecting the other. After all, benching mounds of weight will
create muscular strength and great looking pecs to be sure, but in the
functional world we live in, it’s not often we are asked to push a refrigerator
off of our chests. We need all kinds of training in order to be well rounded
and ready for all that life has to throw at us and that’s the bottom line.

So, when ramping up your
resistance training this year, don’t forget to include exercises that cause you
to think a little, balance a little, and move like you would if you were chopping
wood for example. Never know when you’ll want a cozy fire during the weary
winter months!

By the way...*Proprioception: In short…it’s the way
in which the brain communicates with the muscles and the muscles talk back to
the brain. At least that’s my definition. It’s something you want a lot of
(proprioceptive abilities that is). But don’t take my word for it…look it up.
You never know when you might be tested!!!!


Until next time,
Power On,

Coach Candace



No comments:

Post a Comment