Candace's Favorite Things

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

WEDNESDAY'S WELLNESS- "Where are your Shoulders"?


You know, I have written posts, columns and articles about stress many times before and I suppose I will continue to do so as long as I am able to type.
Scratch that, I'll keep it up as long as I can simply breath, speak or gesture to someone else who can!!

Stress is a ruthless and tireless tyrant. Its goal? To continuously work in our lives in such an insidious way, as to blind and numb us to its presence. Ultimately, left unchecked, stress will have its way with us and we'll forget it's even there!!! IT has its eye on the prize of putting its stamp on our physical and emotional health and to destroy our overall sense of well being. We must learn to master the skills that can
help us overcome its ball and chain effect on our lives or just accept our fate, lye down and let 'This enemy' have its way with us.

If we take these simple techniques seriously, (bringing them into practice as part of our daily lives), we can win this war, break free from its grip and regain a sense of 'ease'.... instead of the "dis-ease" that stress can
and will eventually come to drop on our door steps.Today, I bring you just ONE out of an arsenal of practical and easily implemented defense tactics available to take this widow maker down. YEARS ago, I was "gifted" with this simple exercise, during a Bio Feed Back Session...after my doctor discovered that Stress was beginning to effect my pregnancy ! This is one I wasn't going to take lying down. SO, when I heard it, I was probably more inclined to take it to heart and commit it to practice, faster than you will here without having your child's life at stake (and to that may I add, THANK GOD)! However, if I have earned any bit of your trust after all these years folks...give this a whirl. With time...and a short time at that, this seemingly insignificant little ditty CAN rock your stress ravaged world; helping you begin to once again find the fullness of your breath. Keep practicing this and other stress reducing techniques and before you know it,you will begin to experience a greater clarity of thought and the ability to once again, live a calmer more even keeled existence. When we choose to take action, we'll be much better equipped to handle the TRUE STRESSERS of life as they are presented to us (and they will be), with an improved ability to handle them in an appropriate and diligent manner - without a damaging effect on our health .

Ok, Ok, so give it to me. What is it. Where can I start?
So glad you asked.

It involves stop signs and Red lights. Bet you weren't expecting that huh? Simply put, 'every' time...(not sometimes, or even most of the time folks,
but EVERY TIME MEANS EVERY STINK'IN TIME), you come to a Red Light or a Stop
Sign, take a deep deep breath and as you exhale, ask yourself, "where are my shoulders"? That's right, and I bet for the first few days, EVERY TIME You do this- you WILL find they're up around your ears. So, as you exhale, drop them and give your neck a couple of gentle, muscle reducing rolls.
People, this is not where your shoulders naturally belong. Keep that
posture up most of the day (as many of us unknowingly do), and your upper Trapezius muscles will have a field day on your head and neck muscles, causing painful stress headaches. Number two, when your shoulders are constantly elevated, your entire upper body is tensed. This can contribute to possible
elevations in blood pressure, elevated heart rates and places the body in a
mild and constant state of the 'Fight or Flight' response. In short, it will bring you down and cause you to feel overly taxed, chronically fatigued and inexcusably irritable.
Try this simple test.

Right now, where ever you are, DO this and see how you feel ; Purposefully shrug your shoulders way up high and tighten. Hold on to that for a few seconds .....feel good? OUCH! If you're being honest, your whole body began to tense and your entire system felt as though it was racing just a bit, right? If not, do it again but hold it for a full minute. YEAH, now imagine doing that most of the day without recognizing it because we just never gave it much thought. Once again, stress wins. You begin to accept this feeling
as normal and most of us don't recognize it at all....until we can't take it anymore.

SO, what do you have to lose?Take this simple task to heart and if
necessary, put a 'post -it' note on your steering wheel! IT works, TRUST ME!!!
I do it.

And last; Please understand that I KNOW You'll be inclined to, ONCE
AGAIN.... laugh this one off (people, I know human behavior, this is what I do and I could almost hear you mocking the idea from the first paragraph on. It''s our human nature. Don't worry, I don't take it personally). But if you do decide to laugh this one off, listen quietly and you'll hear the subtle
snickering sneers and jeers of STRESS mocking you right back. Feel it, hear
it, sure you do. It's happening just under your skin! And to that I say...."Ah, HECK NO".
For me, I'm taking Stress DOWN and with it... IT'S MINIONS OF MALADIES it
wishes to inflict on me as well!

Who's with me?

Until tomorrow,
Power On and don't forget....Stress is roaming about the earth seeking whom
it may devour. Don't let it be YOU!

Candace



No comments:

Post a Comment