Candace's Favorite Things

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

TUESDAY’S TRAINING TIPS – “ARE YOU REALLY LIVING or just staying alive”?


The Holidays are officially here. YIPEEE!!!
(of course that means that for the rest of this week...you will be experiencing some of the BEST-O-CANDACE, as our family enjoys a wonderful Holiday Week togther;with their mother being Very Present. Thus the short break). 

Now where was I ..yea,Yipee, yipee, OH...how grown up of me. But just because we’re older now, who says we can’t still have a little child like fun every now and then. Actually, let’s do a lot of it. Why the heck not? The fact that I’m turning 50 this Christmas has made me acutely aware of how quickly time flies and how much there's still to do out there, that I still have yet to try. I’m more and more grateful every day that I've been Imputed with this NEW, even GREATER VIGOR for my mere existence, through several close calls that have left us AMAZED and in AWE, that I'm still here! I was given the gift of “almost” leaving this earth prematurely, (at least a couple of times), and I find that I have never been more in love with, aware of the fragility of, or excited about the possibilities of this life and the adventures it holds instore!

I’ve always been adventurous and definitely wasn’t born with much of a built in “CAUTION” meter, (much to my husband’s dismay). This I know for sure. I’d never thought it odd at all, or dangerous for that matter, that my first sport of choice involved jumping Huge Horses over Huge FENCES, often with the intent of doing it as FAST as I could, in order to take first place; and at the mature old age of 12 at that! There really wasn’t much fear involved, as I honestly hadn't allowed myself to entertain the idea that it was actually DANGEROUS. I mean I saw lots of crashes, and bad ones too. I had many of my own. My poor neck was a wreck by the age of 20 because of it and yet nothing could have held me back from that thrill of flying through the air, on beautiful beasts that could have turned around and taken me out if they’d wanted to. I lived for the thrill; A PASSION that refused to die. Since my accident, Rock climbing has now taken its place.While lying in shock trauma waiting to find out why my arms felt kind of numb and my head and neck were experiencing LIGHTING BOLTS of jolting pain....I was already wondering what I'd have to do to MAKE THIS WORK.So, since Having broken my neck ...Climbing and many other activities have taken that passionate need to experience the EDGE of existence that show jumping as well as other activities that were now to be nixed, had filled. Do I miss it? Of course I do, but I vowed many years ago to always MOVE THE BAR when necessary, but never to LOWER IT!! This past June, I picked up paddle boarding for the first time and now… it’s my “NEW” FAVORITE THING: And that’s what I wanted to briefly mention to you.

So.."TUESDAY’S TRAINING TIPS" huh? Coming off of finishing my 4 part series on Motivation yesterday, I’m thinking even more about what can keep us feeling fresh and loving life as the years roll by. SO, my question for you,"What's your NEW FAVORITE THING"? Do you have one? If not, why?

SO my training tip for you today is KEEP IT FRESH EACH YEAR, by TRYING SOMETHING NEW! Horse jumping and Rock climbing may not be your cup of tea, but make sure you’re able to list each year,at least one new thing that you now do. Cross country skiing maybe? Paddle boarding is very user friendly and a tough workout too! There’s so many ‘something’s’ out there for every one to do in order to participate passionately in this gift called life - that we really are without excuse. Can't use your body? How about that law degree, or that art class you'd thought you'd try? You get my drift. "LIVE LARGE and never just to exist"!!!!



So dear friends, my advice this year as we come very close to it’s end….never stop challenging yourself to take on a new adventure by trying something you’ve never done before. Kids do it, why don’t we? Your body will love the idea, as “cross training” is one of the best ways to keep overuse injuries at bay (especially as we get older). In addition, you’ll probably stay Motivated to keep moving by continuing to add things to your repertoire that you’ve never before tried. It not only keeps you moving and excited about life, but it keeps your brain fresh too.
                                                

It’s time for my next client and I just heard her walk through to my gym. Up first on her agenda? Kick boxing for an hour WITH ME! How old is she? Let’s just say, she’s beaten breast cancer twice and she passed 60 a little while back. Oh, she just came back from that quick trip to Hawaii with me and YEP she tried paddle boarding for the VERY FIRST TIME! How old does she feel or look…baby, you have to beat the boys back! LOL…..(but it’s true).

Until tomorrow,

POWER ON MY FRIENDS….

THAT’S NOT JUST A SIGN OFF, IT’S MY MOTTO….

Candace


No comments:

Post a Comment