Candace's Favorite Things

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

TUESDAY’S TRAINING TIPS…”Training For a Cause”

Ever feel like your workouts are getting a bit stale? You know, we all go through times when we merely drag ourselves to the gym out of nothing but discipline and sheer determination alone.But where's the fun, the joy? Somehow, the idea of packing your gym bag this morning, with the idea of pushing yourself through another workout, was about as exciting an idea , as caulking the bathroom tile. Yet a few weeks ago, you were looking forward to stopping by the club on the way home from work and blowing off some steam. So, what gives? Well, often its boredom, plain and simple. In training, boredom due to ‘training for training's sake’, can take our best intentions, and leave us longing for something, anything but another workout. Let’s face it, there are only a few rare birds that go off to the gym, just hopping and skipping with glee. But for the most part, training can be monotonous, tedious and a bit painful, "if" we're interested in working hard enough to REALLY make a difference.

Oh I know, I’m supposed to be politically correct, even when it comes to training terms. But, you should know me by now…I TELL THE TRUTH! I’d make a lousy politician. The idea of “no pain- no gain” is what I’m supposed to shoot down here. Truth is, as we train to anaerobic levels, the body experiences a burn from the lactic acid, that is a by product of this type of hard work. No way around it…so when we ask “do you feel the burn”? We mean it! Discomfort or Pain (if that’s what you want to call it) …it's a part of the process. Show me a person who completes their workouts every day without getting a little uncomfortable and I’ll show you someone who’s goals are eluding them. Unless of course they’re a ‘Heidi Klum’ look a like, who comes by it naturally…but again, (I’m  apparently here to burst  your bubbles today), I recently heard her interviewed and after a few kids and hitting her late thirties, she works like a banshee to keep her body in that kind of shape. It’s all pretty self explanatory really, that if we are training intensely, we’re going to feel some pain, or call it discomfort if it sits better with you. Lance Armstrong’s famous quote, “Pain is temporary but quitting lasts forever” flies in the face of this  ill-conceived notion ,that if you are doing it right, there will only be pleasure not pain, HA!! Now, I Don’t know about you, but I’m not going to argue with the man who holds the record for the most ‘Tour De France’ victories in history….a total of 7 in all. But you can if you’d like. I think I’ll go with his take on the matter. YEAH, I’m being a little tongue and cheek here, in that I know we aren’t all aspiring to win the Tour De France, but you get my drift. Training can be a discipline that can leave you a little achy and requires a good bit of sacrifice when it’s all said and done. Hey, I'm just here to tell it like it is! HOWEVER, I have a cure for what ails you. When training burn out raises its ugly head, you CAN take charge and begin to…”TRAIN FOR A CAUSE”! IT works every time. In addition to pushing your body and raising money for those who are in need, you can recruit your friends and family…. coworkers and the like, to join you in your ‘charitable athletic venture’, (many of whom may be trying something “like this” for the very first time). In addition, they’ll most likely all be looking to you to, “LEAD THE TEAM” across the finish line.

SO, what is the “Something like this” I’m suggesting?


THE PERFECT EVENT;

THE SUSAN COHAN CANCER FOUNDATION’S SEVENTH ANNUAL 5K RUN &  FAMILY WALK

“SALUTING SURVIVORS”

Go to   www.coloncancerfoundation.org

Contact: Jody@coloncancerfoundation.org

(for additional information please call 410-244-1778)

SATURDAY SEPT. 18TH!

PLACE: Towson Courthouse

Washington Avenue • Towson, Maryland

TIME: 8:30 am till 10:30 am

REGISTRATION: www.coloncancerfoundation.org or below for Mail-In

RACE FEES: $25.00 until September 11, 2011

$30.00 after September 11, 2011

$35.00 on September 18, 2011 (RACE DAY)

Children 5 and under FREE

Susie’s Cause 5K Run & Family Walk is an annual fundraiser to maintain outreach programs in the Baltimore area, build Foundation recognition, and volunteer/chapter interest and support.
My only regret is that I can’t join you myself. Believe me, if I could, I would (I’ll explain before the week is over).

SO choose the (3.1) 5K event or Walk One Single Powerful Mile- with the kids.
A single mile -Can Work Miracles- when it’s done for a cause like this. So, need a reason to get out there? Why not walk or run or do a little of both while helping those who are in need. Now that’s a reason to get out there! Join the movement and help kick COLON CANCER to the curb!


Until tomorrow,
train as if on purpose!

Be Extraordinary ….

Candace

No comments:

Post a Comment