Candace's Favorite Things

Friday, August 12, 2011

FRIDAY'S FESTIVE FARE..."My Lettuce-Free Salad"

If you read yesterday's posting, this recipe will go a little farther to prove my point.Veggies, especially salad veggies, while low in calories ...are considered mainly carb choices. So unless you opt for adding the egg white protein addition, this is what a HUGE BOWL of low calorie carbs can look like. Filling, nutritious and fabulous...ENJOY!

Nothing's wrong with lettuce, that's for sure... It's GOOD STUFF and I happen to LOVE IT! In fact, I am pretty sure that at the age of 13, I came up with the idea of the 'unfashionable wedge of iceberg lettuce' you so often see on many menus now days. To this day, half a head of iceberg lettuce is often my favorite late night snack. I know... I know... but it’s really good! But with summer upon us and fresh produce so plentiful, why not try my very filling, very LOW CALORIE, "LETTUCE FREE SALAD"? You'll get a wide variety of nutrient dense veggies while the getting is GOOD... YUM! This idea came to me one night when I was making dinner. I was putting our usual salad together when (as always), I started thinking about the best way to get the biggest bang for my nutrient dense, fiber-rich, low-calorie buck! It hit me, the LETTUCELESS SALAD. With such a LOW CALORIE PUNCH, this little salad isn't little in the taste or "filling you up" department.

Chop and combine...

½ cup zucchini
¼ cup button mushrooms
¼ cup green onions (if you like them)
5 radishes
½ cup cauliflower
½ cup broccoli
¼ cup celery
3 or 4 hearts of palm (water packed)
½ red pepper
½ orange pepper
¼ cup cucumber
6/8 grape tomatoes

OPTION: To add a protein punch, add 5 boiled egg whites. This will add approx. 20 grams of protein and only about 90 calories!!!

TOTAL CALORIE COUNT FOR SALAD ALONE: Approx.123!!! WITH EGG WHITES: Approx. 213!!!!


FOR DRESSING: Two options that are out of this world and save you TONS of unnecessary calories.

TANGY, CREAMY, RANCH... (fat free)

In a small bowl combine 3 Tbsp. Kraft Fat Free Mayonnaise

Add several teaspoons of good balsamic vinegar (5 calories per serving or less)

Add a little garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper to taste

Whisk until combined and pour over your salad

*ADDS... 40/45 calories to your salad of choice.

-OR-

SPICY SALSA DRESSING

Combine 3 Tbsp. of your favorite salsa (no more than 10 calories per serving)

Add several tsp. of the same balsamic vinegar

Stir gently to combine and mix into your salad

*ADDS... 40/45 calories to your salad of choice.

-OR-

BUY A BOTTLE OF WALDEN FARMS NO CALORIE RANCH!

Bon appetite and good luck eating the whole thing!

Candace

No comments:

Post a Comment